Saturday, October 3, 2009

TO DO SOMETHING MEANINGFUL

One thing to think about every now and then may be why I am doing a PhD in Economics. Whenever I get the question, my answer obviously depends on who is asking. Or let me correct that. I have three different answers which are supposed to suit three different kinds of people. However, since my mouth is not to be trusted, it kind of randomizes the answers. I do not suspect any mean intentions from the part of my mouth, but probably it just wants to make my mind happy by some fun let’s-check-the-reaction-of-this-person activity. In any case, the following are the three standard ones:

- I think Economics is so much fun, and I just wanted to learn more and more and more.
- I did not want to grow up and deal with reality.
- I wanted to meet someone intelligent to marry.

Depending on how you see it one may not exclude the other, but something they admittedly have in common is that they do not seem that serious. This bothers me. Especially since I would like to dedicate my life to something m-e-a-n-i-n-g-f-u-l, but am too afraid of other people to become a doctor. Aware of the fact that the three standard answers actually do not imply that I would spend my PhD doing something that is not meaningful I started repeating to myself and others: “I could not ever do any research on anything that does not seem m-e-a-n-i-n-g-f-u-l to me.”


I will think about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment